Heal the Living (2016)
I’m a Killer (2016)
May God Save Us (2016)
Suntan (2016)
The Unknown Girl (2016)
The War Show (2016)
After Love (2016)
Choose your language en | es | fr | it

email print share on facebook share on twitter share on google+

Industry Report: Focus: Africa

2008 Co-Productions Analysis summary

2008 Co-Productions Analysis summary

- 2008 Co-Productions Analysis summary

13 December, 2009

To date, South Africa has entered into four audiovisual co-production treaties with Canada (1997), Italy (2003), Germany (2004) and the United Kingdom (2007).

The purpose of this analysis is to identify the real value added by co-production projects to the local economy, asses if co-production treaty objectives are being achieved and to also identify existing trends. Co-productions analysis will be done on an annual basis to continuously keep track of co-productions trends.

(The article continues below - Commercial information)Cine Iberoamericano Int

A total of six projects were granted advance ruling status by the NFVF in 2008. The total budget of all six productions amounted to just over R363 million with a Qualifying South African Production Expenditure (QSAPE) of R158,6 million, which is 44% of the total productions budget.

South African financial contribution made up 42% of the total budget and foreign contributions made up the remaining 58%. Government contribution, aggregate contribution of the DTI, IDC and the NFVF amounted to R42 million, 28% of the total productions budget.

Gauteng, KwaZulu-Natal and Western Cape provinces seem to be the preferred locations for filming, with two projects shot in each province. Four of the six productions were shot entirely in South Africa and the other two productions were shot in South Africa and co-producing countries.


in this industry report



Follow us on

facebook twitter rss