Foxtrot (2017)
Smuggling Hendrix (2018)
The Distances (2018)
Lemonade (2018)
Sunday's Illness (2018)
Transit (2018)
Grain (2017)
previous
next
Choose your language en | es | fr | it

INDUSTRY Italy

email print share on facebook share on twitter share on google+

2015 figures for the film industry: fewer films and higher budgets - 1

by 

- The production figures put together by DG Cinema and ANICA show an increase in average costs and the number of co-productions. State aid grew as did the use of tax credits

2015 figures for the film industry: fewer films and higher budgets - 1

In 2015 fewer films were produced in Italy – 185 compared to 201 in 2014 – but total production costs went up – to €338.8 million in 2015 from €319.5 million in the previous year – as did the amount spent on co-productions: in 2015 €63.6 million was spent compared to €53.1 million in 2014. The data on film production in 2015, which was published this morning by the Italian Directorate-General for Cinema and ANICA, have an important new addition this year: along with the two categories of ‘films produced’ (or rather, films that have been awarded a ‘censorship certificate’) and ‘films of Italian initiative’ (or rather, films produced using entirely Italian capital and majority co-productions), is the new category of ‘admissible films’, or rather, those that have duly submitted their notice of commencement of work to the Italian Directorate-General for Cinema. Films falling into the new category of admissible films make up 76% of the total number of films produced (141 films), an increase on the 73% of 2014 (when 147 films were produced). 

Co-productions
Faced with the drop in the number of films being produced, the co-productions segment shows signs of growth: in 2015, the number of co-productions increased from 21 in 2014 to 28, as did the number of partner countries, from 11 to 19, with most co-productions still being made with France (17 in 2015 compared to 10 in 2014). The number of minority co-productions remained particularly modest: 6 out of 28 in 2015. 

Budget
The average overall cost of films of Italian initiative produced in 2015 superceded €2 million, representing a slight increase on the figure from the previous year, €1.9 million. The number of high-budget films, or rather, those costing more than €3.5 million, made in 2015, was 29 (compared to 25 in 2014), with an average cost of €5.8 million. There was a sharp increase in funding from external investors for which tax credits were requested, representing almost 30% of the total budget. The number of domestic tax credits also grew, covering approximately 13% of total costs.

Direct state aid accounted for approximately 8% of funding overall. Regional funding accounted for approximately 4%, whilst funding from abroad (Eurimages, MEDIA) made up just over 1% of the total amount. State funding (both direct and indirect) accounted for 20%, then there were the credits granted by the State to external investors who invest in production, which absorbed around 12% of the total costs, meaning that state aid covered 32% of the production costs of films of Italian initiative in 2015.

(Translated from Italian)

Basque Cannes
Ex Oriente Film
Jihlava Film Fund
 

latest news

 

more news

Newsletter

Follow us on

facebook twitter rss