- Movie, TV series or documentary: Dracula (2020)
- Film commission: Slovak Film Commission
- Country: Slovakia
When the creators of the BBC/Netflix mini-series Dracula searched for the most authentic medieval location, they found a hidden gem in the heart of Slovakia – Banska Stiavnica. Indeed, many say that this UNESCO World Heritage Site is the most beautiful Slovakian town, with well-preserved historical scenes and an ambiance unlike any other in Europe.
The Old Castle and winding streets of its historic city center immediately transport you to the times of kings and queens, horse-drawn carriages, and even Dracula. Strolling through the old town, you can easily imagine the wealthy aristocrats and bourgeois nervously peaking from the windows of their ornate townhomes in anticipation of yet another Turkish invasion.
Perhaps it’s the intrinsic tension between the lavish lifestyle of a once prosperous gold-mining town and the ever-present dark cloud of fear cast on it by Turkish invaders that made Banska Stiavnica the perfect film location for Dracula’s home, as he travels from Transylvania to England in order to find fresh blood.
(Description provided by EUFCN and Slovak Film Commission)
Vote for this location
- Enter your email address in the field below.
- After submitting the form, you'll receive a confirmation email.
- Your vote will be validated once you have clicked on the link included in the email.
- If not validated within 24 hours, your vote will not be counted.
- If you don't receive the confirmation email within a few minutes, please double-check the submitted email address and/or your mailbox's spam folder and settings.
- In case of any further problem, please contact email@example.com.
- Only one vote per email address will be accepted. If voting more than once, only the last vote will be counted.